Wednesday, September 29, 2010

It's Time For Some Change


and I need your help.....


I began this post thinking I was just going to ask for some help with this blog. But as I started looking through stock photos I realized there is a lot more on my mind now. So before I go off on a soap box, which is sure to happen - what should I do about the blog? We need some change. We need a new title. We need to come up with a cool look for the family part. I plan to add an Ethiopian travel tab & will decorate it accordingly. What do you think describes us? 3 boys, 1 girl, 2 parents, 1 dog, 1 fish (that's a whole 'nother post), 5 caterpillars turned butterfly, who all love Jesus & homeschool in a small southern town while waiting for our second sister & possible others. So, what do you think? I am so not creative. Can you think of anything or are we just boring bloggers?
Maybe this is another area that I need to change. I must do better. We started this blog to "inform" our parents of our adoption plans. Yes, if you remember back that long ago, we were chickens. Then it turned into my sort of "scrapbook." And now it seems it's either my way of shooting pics out there to the fam or I am using it as my personal diary. Yes, I do go back on occasion to see where my heart was/is. I look back & reflect to see what all God has been able to do with me. Side note to self - thank goodness He's not finished!!!!
People are still coming by here. I know I look to others to help me. Now that I've been through one adoption, maybe it's time I change this up. Maybe it's time that I help out others. I just love reading the experiences of those who've gone before me - it's comforting to know what's ahead.
I think there's more to change....
As I found picture after picture of "change" I am amazed at the direction this is taking me. I've thought of everything from the butterflies in my living room that have gone through some serious change over the last couple of weeks to the leaves outside that are so beautiful with their changing colors, all the way to some of the change that seems to be going on in our body of believers lately. For years I have felt like I am in the same rut, so to speak. You get on a mountain high in your relationship with your Savior, then you start to slip away letting the busyiness of life get in front of Him, then one day you wake up & realize that you have moved so far from Him that you can't even see Him when He's standing right beside you. When will I ever learn? When will I truly change?
I think it's time that I took my role more seriously. I mean, He's asked us all to do something. Why aren't we doing it? Everybody has been given a job - no matter how small or large, everyone has been asked to do SOMETHING. Now, don't get me wrong, I don't believe God puts the weight on our duties like we do. I mean the smallest task could have as great an impact as some monumental task. I do know that to those of us who He has given SO MUCH to, he expects a lot more from us & rightfully so. In American standards I probably don't have alot. But, I sure do have alot to share. I've had the honor of seeing how blessed we truly are. I've seen villages of people who all together don't make the amount of money that I do in my little part time job at our church. I've seen slums that even when I try to describe to people - they can't begin to fathom what I am saying. And I know that I haven't seen the worst. I've spoken with choir groups from other countries who think we are so spoiled. "Only 5 people live in your home? In our country, at least 20 people would live in that big space." Humbling.
I am tired of complaining of all the injustices out there. I am tired of judging people in my own community because they "don't understand" our family. I want to see a world where people aren't looked down upon just because they were born into a different race. Who decided that one race would be inferior to anther anyway? Lately, I've had lots of remarks made to me & my family concerning the "make up" of our family. And this has had me thinking. I know that this PROBLEM will not go away this side of heaven. But, I think it's time to help lessen some of it. It's time to help others. I am discovering that some of the racial tension even in my own church, is due to FEAR. So, I am ready to help be that change. I am ready to combat & educate.

If I was being truly honest with myself & those of you who frequent here - I would have to admit - I don't want to take the time to help them. I want them to "grow up & put their big girl panties on & face the music." I hate the thought that I am going to have to change MY life in order to "fix theirs." Selfish I know, but it's an honest feeling. Why can't people "get it" on their own? I think it might even be an easier job & I might even look forward to helping change the world if it wasn't for the next picture:


This makes me cry. No matter how much praying, counseling, marketing or any other means of "ing" that I can come up with will change some people. Some people are so set in their ways that they are comfortable - no matter what. We have let the sin of this world creep into our lives. We've allowed so many "little" things come into our view that we don't even notice how BIG a problem we have staring at us. How do we change that?


Are we able to change? I hope & pray that we are. I am going to try my hardest & yes I know it's going to be hard. I think that may be why I am pumped & scared at the same time - because this is not going to be an easy task. (And I've only talked about the change needed with racial tension. Boy - could I think of some other things. Don't worry - I realize this has gone ALOT longer than it needed to already.)
I know I've rambled. But I have to get this off my chest. I have to remember this. I have to know where we came from when we get there. Tonight I am BELIEVING that CHANGE is coming. God is at work. Never before have I seen His people as serious as they are about taking care of His children. God will help us show others that change.

And like Will Smith advises - I am ready to change the world. Who's with me?

0 comments: