Wednesday, May 06, 2009

Adoption Costs More Than Money

As humans we are bound by the limitations that are set here on Earth. In looking at the future, I know God is in control. But as a mere mortal, many times I limit myself & Him by my worldly perspective. I have been reading a devotional book that was sent to us through the ShowHope Foundation. It has been a blessing to me as I've been going through it. The last day took a little different perspective & I want to share it with you. No, I still don't have all the answers, but one thing I know for sure: That if God brings me to it, He will bring me through it. I have heard many people say if they just had the money they would adopt - I TOTALLY UNDERSTAND. Don't let earthly matters & fears stop you from receiving the blessings that God has waiting for you.

"The Cost Of Adoption" by Scott Hasenbalg

"God decided in advance to adopt us into His own family by bringing us to himself through Jesus Christ....and it gave him great pleasure...He is so rich in kindness and grace that He purchased our freedom with the blood of His Son..." -Ephesians 1:5,7

Our adoption by God cost us nothing. However, it did cost God something; it cost Him His Son. The high fees and costs for adoption today are indefensible, but they are not inconceivable.
Adoption is costly. Whether in the realm of finances, emotions, relationships, time or effort, adoption will cost. But think of what it cost God, and yet He was willing to undergo that cost. And not simply to undergo it, but to undergo it with joy! It gave Him great pleasure! What kind of upside down world is this? What pain and loss God must have experienced, and yet He delighted in bringing us into His family! In our world of risk-averse, safety-first, immediate gratification, we often lose sight of the truth that some endeavors are worth the cost.
The adoption journey is not easy, but every hour of toil, every obstacle encountered, every tear shed, every sleepless night-all are but a shadow of the price that God paid for us. Jesus came to be a ransom for many (Matthew 20:28), and if God was willing to pay that ransom for us, how much more will He be willing to lead us in ransoming His beloved children from their state as orphans? And it is His love that compels us onward in obedience, whatever the cost, for He who calls us is faithful. Our God who owns the cattle on a thousand hills, who is rich in mercy and grace, who generously provides for all that we need, this God knows the costs we will incur, and promises to be with us and for us every step of the way. This is about faith in action. This is an invitation to experience God in ways we've never experienced Him before.
In Matthew, Jesus says "Where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." God's heart is invested in adoption. Let us view the costs, both known and unforeseen, as an invitation for us to invest our resources, and therefore our hearts, into the things of God. Don't be afraid to ask others to join you in your adoption journey, supporting you financially and personally, for the body is made up of many parts, and we all need one another. Let others have the opportunity to invest in the things of God as well. "Carry each other's burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ." (Galatians 6:2).

1 comments:

Moore Family said...

Amen Sista! I saw where you posted and sorry I am just getting back. My best friend's husband is returning from Iraq soon and I have been helping her get things together. Anyway, Nicky is going to talk to our account and there may be another way we can start a foundation without having to pay all that money! He just found out about it yesterday. As soon as he knows for sure, I will let you guys know. Thanks so much for even considering wanting to help. It absolutly blew my mind when I read it. God is definitly wanting us to do something and all we want is to honor HIM! Can't wait to see how it all unfolds!
Jennifer